Did you see the question on our Facebook page? Here’s the answer!
Tootsie was a turn of the century doll from the Henry G. Zipf Collection. She was presumably owned by Gertrude Pusch Zipf (1883-1974), who was the daughter of George and Mathilda Pusch. The Pusch family were the original owners of Steam Pump Ranch.
Ruth Fahden a member of the Tucson Doll Guild, the Doll Artisan Guild and the United Federation of Doll Clubs researched the doll and the clothing era. She learned the doll was produced in Germany by Henrich Handwerck and his wife, Minna, who made dolls from 1876 to 1902. Heinrich and Minna Handwerck dolls were produced in Waltershausen, Thüringia, Germany beginning in 1876 until they were purchased by Kammer & Reinhardt in 1902 after Heinrich Sr. passed away at the young age of 44. After 1921 Heinrich Handwerck Jr. re-founded the factory in Gotha near Waltershausen.
Ruth designed the outfit which includes fabric from Gertrude’s wedding dress.
The doll’s name was suggested by Barbara McIntyre (great-granddaughter of George and Mathilda Pusch). She recalled that the family called Gertrude, “Aunt Tootsie”.
“Tootsie” made her debut October 2017 at Steam Pump Ranch in the Pusch Ranch House where she continues to be on permanent display.
A member of the OVHS Collections Committee, Peg O’Connell, took on the Tootsie restoration project.